love...joy...peace...patience...kindness...goodness...faithfulness...gentleness...self-control

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Mary or Martha

I am wondering this evening if I am being a Mary or a Martha?  You see I spent a little over 10 hours at church today.  Big day.  Regular worship followed by preparing for our annual advent festival and then the festival.

My feet hurt, my back hurts, I think my head might even hurt.  But instead of curling up in bed and sleeping the evening away I have edited two blogs (did I mention I am now helping out with 2 more blogs?  Don't ask how that happened...for some reason I *think* I offered) answered e-mail, written an article, read an article and now look across my desk to see my study book for tomorrow's bible study - the one I had an extra week to prep for but uhm didn't.  The story of Mary and Martha, the "be"er and the "do"er.  The long studied women, the examples set up of who to be and who not to be. 

I wonder why we do that?  Set these two women up?  Jesus very clearly appreciates both women and their unique perspective on life and the talents they have been given that they utilize to bless others.  And who is to say that tomorrow Mary might not act like Martha and Martha might be Mary?  Isn't it a season of our life they represent - even if those seasons are only days and projects apart?

I am not sure who I am tonight that I cannot sleep until I crack open my bible and explore further these two beloved women.  No matter what this study teaches me this evening what I know for sure is Jesus loved both Mary and Martha, he spent much time with both of them. 

No matter if I bring my Mary heart or Martha heart to God tonight I know He will be well pleased that I chose to spend my time with Him.

1 comment:

  1. Holly, you have a Mary heart in a Martha world.

    Like Mary you long to sit at the Lord's feet but the daily demands of life don't leave you alone. I think this really sums up the life of many woman today.

    Both Mary and Martha have good hearts that draw them closer to God, deepening their devotion to Him, strengthening their service to Him in indivivual ways with joy.

    You need to read, "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" by Joanna Weaver. It is one I leave out on my table and pick it up often. That book alone would be a great Bible study. Our next project perhaps?

    Maureen
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete