love...joy...peace...patience...kindness...goodness...faithfulness...gentleness...self-control

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Cost of Discipleship

"Now large crowds were travelling with him; and he turned and said to them, ‘Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it will begin to ridicule him, saying, “This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.” Or what king, going out to wage war against another king, will not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to oppose the one who comes against him with twenty thousand? If he cannot, then, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for the terms of peace. So therefore, none of you can become my disciple
if you do not give up all your possessions.

‘Salt is good; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored?  It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure heap; they throw it away. Let anyone with ears to hear listen!’   Luke 14:25-35


I am thankful to host bible study at my house once a week.  It makes me pick up my house!  I want the prayer and study space to be comfortable - therefore it needs to be clean.  I light candles asking God to be with us and I pray in the space before the group shows up.

But something interesting happens to me each week.  Each week I begin my cleaning thinking "ugh this house needs to be painted."  "Good grief this couch is way past its date to be thrown out."  "oh no the kids ate white powdered donuts in this chair again."  "Oh good grief this table leg is wobbly."   And as I go on these thoughts can start to rack up into the chant of "I want".  "I want a new couch",  "I want new carpet", "I want new tile", "I want a new table", "I want speakers mounted in my walls". 

I want then becomes frustration because of "I can't" buy anything because "I don't" have any money.  Then I get a little pity party going Oh woe is me.  I begin to think "why do I host and invite people over when my house is so unworthy."

Then lightening strikes!  ;-)

As soon as I have that thought my soul fights back my ego and tells it to "raphah" - be still.  The ONLY thing that matters is The Word.  Reading the Word, studying the Word, sharing the Word, fellowship with people around the Word.  Then I begin praying to The Word - "Dear Jesus, forgive me my trespasses.  Forgive me for not being content with my life, which you have repeatedly saved, thank you for the air I breath, thank you for my hands and feet that can clean up, thank you for this home that shelters my family, thank you for this mess my children make - they bring me joy and love and laughter and blessings, thank you for this furniture which has served my family and my friends and your children who gather to pray and learn."

Seriously - 7 years ago this furniture was brand new and I loved it - spent time picking it out, spent money on it, got all excited about having it delivered.  Loved sitting in it and moving it around.  In just 7 years it shows much wear and tear and already I wish to replace it.

"So therefore, none of you can become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions."


Nothing in my possession can be more sacred than God.  I can't stop inviting people to my home to share God's Word because of the possessions I have or the lack of possessions I think I want.  I can't spend so much time on my possessions - cleaning them, organizing them, admiring them, bemoaning them - that I take away time I should be spending with God.

I joke often that I wish I had my own little apartment so that I could have a quiet place where no one touches my stuff.  Everything is clean and in it's home.  It would be perfect.

Or would it?

Where there is no mess would I find community and love, tears and joy, grief and happiness?  Would the quiet engulf me and leave my life barren and unable to communicate God's great deeds?

What is the cost of discipleship?  What do you have to give up, where do you have to let go and let God?  Possessions are just one tiny fraction of the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment