love...joy...peace...patience...kindness...goodness...faithfulness...gentleness...self-control

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

C.S. Lewis

Yesterday we commemorated C.S. Lewis.

I am really at a loss for words.  I love C.S. Lewis.  I love his life story, his faith journey.  His words and books brought my own faith journey alive in ways I never could have imagined.  I cannot think about Creation without going back to my memories of reading The Magician's Nephew - the end of chapter 8 and into Chapter 9.

"Then two wonders happened at the same moment.  One was that the voice was suddenly joined by the other voices; more voices than you could possibly count.  They were in harmony with it, but far higher up the scale:  cold, tingling, silvery voices.  The second wonder was that the blackness overhead, all at once, was blazing with stars.  They didn't come out gently one by one, as they do on a summer evening.  One moment there had been nothing but darkness; next moment a thousand, thousand points of light leapt out - single stars, constellations, and planets, brighter and bigger than any in our world.  There were no clouds.  The new stars and the new voices began at exactly the same time.  If you had seen and heard it, as Digory did, you would have felt quite certain that it was the stars themselves which were singing, and that it was the First Voice, the deep one, which had
made them appear and made them sing." 

"Glory be!" said the Cabby.  "I'd ha' been a better man all my life if I'd known there were things like this."

Oh and there is so much more!  I can not say the Lord's Prayer without thinking of The Last Battle and imagining the Kingdom of God here on earth as C.S. Lewis portrayed in chapter 13:

"He looked round again and could hardly believe his eyes.  There was the blue sky overhead, and grassy country spreading as far as he could see in every direction, and his new friends all round him, laughing.

"It seems, then," said Tirian, smiling himself, "that the Stable seen from within and the Stable seen from without are two different places."

"Yes," said the Lord Digory.  "Its inside is bigger than its outside."

"Yes," said Queen Lucy.  "In our world too,
a Stable once had something inside that was bigger than our whole world."

Can't you just see Jesus laying in the manger, our chronos and our kairos interlocking and our worlds mingling, our earthly presence with our divine purpose.  Gives me shivers!

I could go on and on, but really you have to experience it for yourself.  Read the Chronicles of Narnia, read The Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, The Great Divorce and anything by C.S. Lewis that you can get your hands on.  You won't be disappointed.

With total excitement I am counting down the days to opening night of "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" - just 18 more days!!!

I am thinking about having a viewing of the first two movies at my house and then heading to the theatre for the late showing.  Wouldn't that just be a perfect Friday Sabbath!?

No comments:

Post a Comment