love...joy...peace...patience...kindness...goodness...faithfulness...gentleness...self-control

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sounds of Summer

We had a beautiful day today!  For the first time since May no humidity and all my windows are open and all the kids outside - almost all the kids in the court.  I live in the depths of suburbia and there are about 38 kids on our court.  The screeching, laughter and screams of Joy have been wonderful to hear.  Especially since it is all taking place outside!

This is the part of summer I will miss.  I won't miss the "I'm bored", "I don't wanna" and "she is in my seat" and "he won't let me have a turn".

I actually had a chance to sit in my favorite chair on my front porch and enjoy the breeze while catching up on my reading.  In truth I spent more time daydreaming than reading.  My DFI adventures begin this weekend and I can't wait.  I know there will be much time in silence and prayer and contemplation.  I will have time for just me and God.  I will be surrounded by my classmates who have all been feeling the same nudges and call I have been feeling.  Sometimes out here in the "real" world it can be hard to articulate how God has called you.  You don't want to appear crazy and yet you want to be true, you don't want to appear touchy feely and new agey when the call is so sacred and centuries old. 

I had a Holy Spirit moment this Sunday.  I had an opportunity to give the sermon at one of our services, and the sermon was okay.  I started off with my written sermon and then diverged a little when a thought came to me.  So the sermon was alright, no one got up and walked out ;-)  But the powerful part was when I ended in prayer.  I didn't practice the prayer, I didn't think about what to say, how to word it.  I opened my heart and mind to God and out came His words.  I felt completely in the moment of worship, not extending worship to the congregation or prepping a prayer for them, but distended in prayer.  I call those "time out of mind" moments.  Moments where I am in the present and the past and the future, with the Alpha and the Omega, completely surrendered to His will and His time.

I am not nervous or scared about this weekend.  Even though I don't know what to expect.  I don't know anyone, I don't have an official planned out curriculum.  I am so ready for this.  I feel as though I have been waiting my whole life to begin this journey and it is about to begin.  It feels so right and so good and I can't help but smile.  As I sit in my office and watch the twilight come and listen to the last bursts of energy from a gaggle of kids I know they are expressing the very way I feel inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment