love...joy...peace...patience...kindness...goodness...faithfulness...gentleness...self-control

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Encountering Obstacles

One of my daily devotions is by Sarah Young "Jesus Calling".

Yesterday's devotion was perfect timing to prepare me for today - why should this surprise me?  God's timing is always perfect.

"I am with you and for you.  When you decide on a course of action that is in line with My will, nothing in heaven or on earth can stop you.  You may encounter many obstacles as you move toward your goal, but don't be discouraged  - never give up!  With my help, you can overcome any obstacle.  Do not expect an easy path as you journey hand in hand with Me, but do remember that I, your very-present Helper, am omnipotent.
Much, much stress results from your wanting to make things happen before their times have come.  One of the main ways I assert My sovereignty is in the timing of events.  If you want to stay close to Me and do things My way, ask Me to show you the path forward moment by moment.  Instead of dashing headlong toward your goal, let Me set the pace.  Slow down, and enjoy the journey in My Presence."

I could complain that I am still fasting, that my Letter still has not come.  But truly I feel God is prolonging the receiving of the Letter to prolong my fast.  To keep me dependent on God, to keep me awake on this journey, to help me to know in mind, body and Spirit that the Letter, while an answer to a question is not the goal.  The goal is the journey, the goal is staying present in each moment seeking God's presence, God's sustenance, God's courage and God's wisdom.  There is no relying on myself.  There is no illusion of control.  The only control I can practice at this time is "self-control" and this my brothers and my sisters, is a fruit of the Spirit.  This is a gift!

Obstacles in the beginning of this fast were what to do and how to stay on course.  Day by day as God readied me I was given more and more information, news clips, articles by nutritionists, friends who shared experiences and documentaries that taught me so much.  I am still learning, that will never end.  But I also have a good handle on how and what.  It no longer takes me 2 hours to grocery shop pouring over each label 2, 3, 5 times making sure what it is supposed to have and not have.  I now have a pattern and routine.  So much so I am able to experiment and have fun.  Who would think fast and fun would be found in the same post?

Up until now my support system has been amazing.  Friends asking me to cook for them and acting as my guinea pig, friends and family knowing what I am doing and making something special and yummy for me.  But I think we have hit fast fatigue - if there is such a thing.  It is now starting to, quite bluntly, tick off some of my friends.  I am not quite sure the cause - maybe they are tired of hearing about it, maybe they are tired of talking about it, maybe they are tired of my endless need to check labels and question waiters.  I believe my obstacle now is living this fast as normalcy and hoping my friends do not feel I am judging them.  Food is so integral and it seems to go so deep, ingrained in family traditions and cultures and faith.  Turning down someones favorite recipe does not make one popular.  And while I don't judge anyone else's journey I believe people do feel judged.  And I truly believe there is a greater purpose to all I am learning than just my fast.  Every piece of education and awareness I am given and each thought and feeling I have with this experience is preparation for something God is planning. 

It's easy with my hubby. If he eats a double bacon cheeseburger in front of me and offers me a bite I put up my hand and say "Get behind me Satan" and he laughs and loves me still. 20 years together offers you that opportunity. Not sure I am ready to test that out on others ;-)

Tomorrow is my sabbath and I will take this obstacle into prayer.  How do I live an authentic life praising God for all I am and all I have and honoring the Holy Spirit at work in my life, opening the eyes of my heart and in turn changing the ways I act and react to the world around me - in all choices I make, without hurting the ones I love in the process?  Hasn't this been a part of my larger journey?  Opening myself up to become who I am called to be, not being discouraged, never giving up, always turning to God for my true encouragement.  There are those who have rejected me and those who have embraced me, there are those who made some distance but have come back in full support.  This is the grace of God at work!  I have learned that people will be disappointed but God will help me to love them and journey through that disappointment with them to find ourselves in a new place, in a new way.


Recipe #8
A yummy sauce I used for a veggie stir fry.

1/4 cup Tamari
1 tsp Expeller Pressed Peanut Oil
1 tsp Hot Sauce
2 TBSP Agave Nectar
1/8 cup of Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
1" cube of Fresh Ginger
1 clove of Garlic

Blend until smooth.  It would also make a good salad dressing I think.

Recipe #9  Orange Carrot Smoothie - great with above stir fry!
(click on picture to head to the recipe)




Recipe #10

Comfort Food when my Spirit is weary

1/2 - 1 onion
Turmeric
black pepper
2-3 potatoes, cleaned and chopped
1 pepper - I like red or yellow - chopped
chopped green chilies to taste
1-2 tomatoes, diced

Saute pan on medium heat, place onion, turmeric and black pepper, stirring until onion softens, add potato, cover, stir often for about 10 minutes, adding peppers, lower heat and add chilies and tomatoes.  Let slowly simmer until potatoes soften.  Eat and enjoy!

Blessed Be!

No comments:

Post a Comment