love...joy...peace...patience...kindness...goodness...faithfulness...gentleness...self-control

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Savoring The Silence

The mountains are silent this morning and so am I.  I describe my household as organized chaos.  Children flowing in and out, friends coming and going, constant movement and voice.  It is never silent in my house - even in the darkest of night I have the dog snoring!

What I treasure whenever I have the opportunity to experience retreat or conferences is silence.  There is no tv anywhere on this campus, there are no radios.  And this morning even the breeze, the flowing river and the Elk are silent.  I treasure this time with God.  I sat for two hours yesterday in the most comfortable Adirondack Chair I have ever sat in and just stared at what I am calling my God mountain. 

All of us have an image of God, some of us have a few images.  My image of God is Light.  Awesome Light, colors that we have not defined in words, so bright I have to turn my eyes away and yet I keep looking again because I want to See.  In my image this Light comes from behind a mountain range, there are two peaks and in the middle of them the Light is streaming upwards and outwards.  There is much more to this image, there are paths and water and a garden - these are the places I meet Jesus.  Each place seems to have different meaning.

My God Mountain here has the peaks as I have imagined them.  Yesterday I just kept staring at them, wanting to memorize them.  I forgot my camera, just have my phone and I have tried, oh I have tried, to capture this mountain in a picture.  But it never looks the same on my phone as it does in my heart.  The camera version is so bland compared to the vision in front of me.  So I stopped trying to capture the vision and instead just sat in the presence.  In silence.  Grace extended, Grace received.

"Yes everything is for your sake, so that grace, as it extends to more and more people, may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.  So we do not lose heart.  Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day." 

No comments:

Post a Comment