love...joy...peace...patience...kindness...goodness...faithfulness...gentleness...self-control

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Go

It is time for me to Go.  I awoke early this morning to make sure I can soak every last second of my trip.  This missions conference has fed me in ways that I know I am not even aware of yet.  Ministry work can be lonely and hard.  Yesterday one of our speakers and workshop facilitators Monica Vega said to us "do you feel lost?  GOOD!  That is mission work."  She said more but that struck me as freeing to my spirit.  I often feel lost; God am I doing what you desire me to do?  God where am I going to get the resources?  God who is going to join me?  God I think I have to speak out, grant me courage?  God I see your children and they hurt and I groan under the weight.  God keep me close to you so I can not get overwhelmed by the oppression of your creation and children.  I often feel that I am "supposed" to have answers for people or "know" something and it was freeing for Monica to say "No!"  All you need to do is "be" and be "lost" and rely on God for all and turn to the scriptures for guidance.

Deacons are the ones IN the Church to say GO to their brothers and sisters.  "Go in peace to love and serve the Lord."  It is in the dismissal that we are asking people to walk into this world with God by their side, proclaiming God's Word through thought, word and deed.  It is the Deacons who also must Go into this world to find the oppressed, the lonely, the forgotten, the needy, the poor and bring them the Good News that Christ walks with them.  We Go.

"Mission starts in the burning heart of God."  Rev. Susan Hope 
As we leave this conference may our hearts burn also with God's mission.

"The Church exists by mission as a fire exists by burning..."  Emil Brunner 
May we leave this conference sharing with our parish families the burning so that they might feel it, know it and live it.

I have been taught this weekend by many amazing people and I share with you:  Mission does not belong to the Church - the Church belongs to God's mission and We Go.  We are invited to Go - to come and see - the Divine is waiting for us to reveal itself to us.  Parishes need to be places of nourishment, but we can not stay in the parish!  Come to the table, be nourished by the bread and the wine and the Word of God and then GO!  Go into the world and join the Holy Spirit who has been waiting on you.

Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment