love...joy...peace...patience...kindness...goodness...faithfulness...gentleness...self-control

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Freedom Oh Freedom

"For freedom Christ has set us free. Stand firm, therefore,
 and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery."  Galatians 5:1





Yesterday opportunity and change dropped into my lap - 3x! So I ended my fast. Let me admit fasting is one of the hardest spiritual disciplines for me. I get cranky, really cranky. I think my whole family was praying for God to drop anything into my lap, anything, just so I would break my fast. God did and I did. And I ended it too soon. For while opportunity and change landed in my lap and I knew what to begin praying about, I still wasn't clear. My chains hinder me. We all have them, chains and shackles that hold us to the old life. They change over time, some of them remain hanging from us just waiting for a chance to jump up and claim us again. One of mine is lack of self-confidence another is self-doubting. The two work nicely together to undermine my steps out of the good ole comfort zone.

I am convinced that if we are comfortable we aren't stretching and working. I don't mean content. We are called to be content. "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." Phillipians 4:11-13

What I mean is maturing in our faith, stretching our gifts. It would be so easy for me to sit at home and ignore my gifts and read all day. Napping and curled up with a good book would be the life. Or would it? Truth be told, it wouldn't. The minute I am not sure where to share my gifts or what God is calling me to next I get restless. Being spiritually restless is painful.

"For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for self-indulgence, but through love become slaves to one another. For the whole law is summed up in a single commandment, ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’ If, however, you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another."
Galations 5:13-15

Perfect freedom is found in perfect surrender. Contentment is found in following your call. We are equipped for every good work that is put before us. We have to break the chains of bondage and free ourselves for service. The chains of bondage can take on so many forms - worry about finances, worry about familial responsibilities, living someone else dream for our lives instead of God's dream for us, shackling ourselves to others perceptions or expectations of us, forgetting to be alive today and instead hoping on a promise for tomorrow. It is so easy to put ourselves at the center of our lives and get sidetracked. God needs to be the center of our lives so that we might be free to live a fully redeemed and eternal life.

So I am back to fasting ;-) Not a full fast this time, I am just going to deny myself certain foods (more like Daniel than Paul). I have choices and opportunities to figure out. A beloved friend of mine today reminded me that while I might glow with the light of God in all that I do I really need to focus so that I can SHINE with the light of God at the one thing God is calling me to do. She is so wise. Everyone deserves beloved friends, the ones who know your deepest heart and still love you; the ones who know that life gets busy but keep you in their prayers and when you call after months of silence they begin talking from the last sentence you shared; the one who will tell you the truth even if they know it will make you cry, but they tell you anyway because real love tells the truth to save you. My beloved friend and I already have plans for our matching rockers with a view of the ocean!  Ah the surrender into perfect freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment