love...joy...peace...patience...kindness...goodness...faithfulness...gentleness...self-control

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Standing In Line

Think of your local food pantry.  It is a place where a person goes if they can't afford to purchase food.  If I asked you to draw a picture of a person you imagine you would see in line at the food pantry, who would you draw?

Yesterday I went to our local food pantry to drop off a trunk load of donations.  A trunk load sounds like a lot.  That is until you drive to the pantry and you see the line of people waiting for groceries.  Then that trunk load seems like 1 fish and 5 loaves of bread and you start praying to God for a miracle.

As I passed from the front of the food pantry where clients are lined up to the back where I would drop off my donation I saw a woman and she looked like me.  A little thinner, a little sadder, her hair a little longer.  I caught her eye.  I began to smile, to approach and speak to her.  She lowered her eyes, very slightly turned and lowered her head just enough that her hair now covered the side of her face I could see.  She hid from me.  And I began to pray for her.  I prayed she would let me speak a kind word.  I think she prayed I would cease to notice her as she carried her two bags to her car.  I knew her two bags meant she is alone, only enough groceries for one person.

I didn't cease to notice her, but I did walk past her with my smile ready just in case.  She side glanced at me twice as she quickened her pace.  I knew she wanted to be left alone and I respected the moment.  You see she is me and I am her.  She is my mother and my daughter and my Sister.  And she is hungry.  I need to see her.  I need to notice her.  I need to reach out to her.  I need her to know she is me, I am her mother and her daughter and her Sister.  I need her to know she leads me, she shows me the Truth.  I need her to know that her courage to stand in line to receive 2 bags of groceries of which she has limited or no choice - it all depends on donations and what can be found on the shelves - builds my courage.  Her hiding stirs my boldness.  Her voice inspires my voice.  She is me and I am her and together we speak.


The next time we stand in line at the grocery store, our carts filled with food of our own choice, as we start to complain about the cost, the line or the customer in front of us; let us remember we complain from a place of privilege.  If we are in a grocery store with food in a cart we are privileged.

 Imagine again the line at the food pantry and this time place yourself in line.  Imagine being hungry, with no choice but to stand in a line at a food pantry.  Imagine filling out forms that declare you are poor enough to receive this food.  Imagine you are handed a bag of groceries.  Imagine if you would want to look into the eyes of the one who serves you or if you would slightly turn and lower your head and make eye contact with the floor instead.  Imagine as you walk back to your car, or to the bus, the prayer you might shout to God from your heart.

May it please God that we pray that prayer.  Pray it loud and pray it fierce for yourself and for your brothers and sisters who hunger.

No comments:

Post a Comment