love...joy...peace...patience...kindness...goodness...faithfulness...gentleness...self-control

Friday, January 7, 2011

My Sabbath, My Procrastination

Hello my friends!  How I have missed writing to you - in fact I am finding it increasingly hard to concentrate today as I prepare for school because everything that I have been wanting to share with you is building up in me.  My fingers can't type fast enough to keep up with my thoughts.  There is so much that I haven't a clue where to begin.

My workload is actually pretty light for my school day tomorrow.  I only have one more paper to write and I need to finish a book to do it.  The book is just kind of dense.  I am very interested in the topic - its just that I haven't had a chance to sit down and write in so long that my brain doesn't want to take in any more information.

Really - isn't that just a procrastinator's excuse?  There only about 14 more hours until my school day so I really can't procrastinate much longer. 

In my procrastination I have discovered West African and Arab music.  I have no idea what any of the lyrics mean, but the music itself is so wonderful.  And because I can't understand the lyrics I can just fall into the rhythm and read and write without my mind wandering.  Some of the music is so uplifting I want to just get up and dance, my feet start tapping and my typing gets faster.  What a gift.

And in my procrastination I read my scriptures for the day:

"‘To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands:

‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance. I know that you cannot tolerate evildoers; you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them to be false. I also know that you are enduring patiently and bearing up for the sake of my name, and that you have not grown weary. But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. Remember then from what you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. Yet this is to your credit: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches. To everyone who conquers, I will give permission to eat from the tree of life that is in the paradise of God."  Revelation 2:1-7

When I grow weary is it on account of the scripture that speaks to me today in my procrastination:  "that you have abandoned the love you had at first."?  Does the wear and tear of our daily life in this materialistic world break down our love affair with our Creator?  Do we get so entrenched in our own plans we forget His plan for us?  Do we get so involved with our thoughts, words and deeds that we lose sight of our greater calling and our Lord's thoughts and words and deeds which are so much higher than our own.  Does the face of the intangible sometimes seems so far away that we can't bear to touch our own faith for fear our fingers will pass right through?

Every one of us has to jump through hoops in this world.  If you want the job, the marriage, the raise, the education, the vacation, the dog, the family...there are hoops.  Our society says "if you do that, you get this" and if we want "this" we do "that".  But what does God say?  God says "I AM", "I AM here", "Here I AM"; "come to me, all you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." 

No hoops, no this or that, just I AM and come to me.  Why do we humans make complicated what God gives us so simply?  I am reading the teachings of Buddha and the concept of Mindfulness, being present or what I would call finding rest in God.  From what I am reading thus far everything the Buddha teaches leads me straight to Christ.  Don't get me wrong I haven't read everything, I am only touching the surface, but I find Christ.  Before I procrastinate further I will leave my thoughts right there, but we will touch on this again because as a person who has been described as a "buddhapalian" I am very interested to see if this moniker fits me or not.  And I am most intrigued that the Buddha calls me to Rest with the Christ within me.  And I love that I have discovered the Soweto Gospel Choir who helps me to do just that!





No comments:

Post a Comment