love...joy...peace...patience...kindness...goodness...faithfulness...gentleness...self-control

Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day

I never really gave much thought to labor day until I began to view it through the prism of God's work.

There are so many scriptures that reference labor but the one that is speaking to me most clearly this year is Matthew 9:37-38 "Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.""

This is the work, this is the meaning. Everyone is called. It isn't just ordained ministry that is a call. Each of us is created with unique gifts and opportunities to use our gifts. The question may not be "are you called?" rather the question might be "are you working for the Lord?" Colossians 3:23-24 tells us "Whatever your task, put yourselves into it, as done for the Lord and not for your masters, since you know that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward; you serve the Lord Christ."

What if...we actually worked for the Lord instead of our masters? Who can our masters be? The Job. The Mortgage. The Boss. The Contract. The Commission. The Vacation. Why do you toil and strive and for whom do you toil and strive? How many of us will show up for work on Tuesday working as if the Lord himself were sitting in our cubicle, our classroom, our kitchen and our sanctuary?

My kids often groan when I ask them to clean their rooms but I love to remind them that this is not their house, this is not their bedroom - this is the Lord's house and what if the Lord showed up today for a sleepover - would He be comfortable in their room? I ask the same of myself, especially after a long day, the snail trail of childhood "stuff" is trickling through every room, dinner dishes still needing to be cleaned, more laundry to fold, bills to sift through. I wonder, what if God sat down on my couch right now, would He be pleased with how I care for the blessings He has given me? Or would He wonder how I spend my time? If I take the time to consider this question the loving response to all my blessings is to pick up my shovel and make a path! I may not have a talent for home decorating but I surely can scrub a sink.

My dentist is a great example of Christ in the workplace. I love going to the dentist. I love walking into his office. You at once feel as though you have been welcomed, it is almost as if you are in his home. You are treated with respect and dignity in a loving and true way. I believe my dentist has been given the gift of healing and he uses that gift to glorify God. I have never sat down and asked him his priorities but it is evident in his office; God, family, work. He doesn't pray over me (well maybe he does silently?) but I feel his work (and that of all of his staff) as a prayer. This is a true example of our Colossians 3:23-24 scripture. He is serving Christ.

We can all do this. We can go into our meetings asking God to listen with our ears and be present in our words. We can treat all people that we encounter with the dignity and respect they deserve just because they are children of God and He loves and adores them just as He loves and adores us. We can have a welcoming spirit and bring everyone to the table, for it is not our table, but the Lord's table. My husband and I talk all the time about not having an intended effect or being married to the outcome or pushing our own agendas. If we are truly doing God's work we don't need to convince anyone or manipulate any situation or control all the details. God's will be done. Period. We can share our talents, our time, our treasure and we can invite people to join us on our journey and serve alongside of us. If you are striving and spinning your wheels like a hamster in a cage, check your priorities. Take a moment to discern where you are and where you are going. Does your will align with God's will? If it does, cheers my friend because the banquet has begun and you can rest in your toil. God will make it happen. You just have to show up and put a little sweat equity into the job. If your will is not in alignment with God's will don't despair, for today is a new day, a new opportunity, a fresh start, a new chapter in your life. God is waiting for you to co-create with Him.

I leave you with this thought on this particular Labor Day - how do you want to spend your life, striving for a career or living your vocation? And what might your guiding scripture be today?


Collect of the Day

Almighty God, you have so linked our lives one with another that all we do affects, for good or ill, all other lives: So guide us in the work we do, that we may do it not for self alone, but for the common good; and, as we seek a proper return for our own labor, make us mindful of the rightful aspirations of other workers, and arouse our concern for those who are out of work; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

• For the Unemployed
Heavenly Father, we remember before you those who suffer want and anxiety from lack of work. Guide the people of this land so to use our public and private wealth that all may find suitable and fulfilling employment, and receive just payment for their labor; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment