love...joy...peace...patience...kindness...goodness...faithfulness...gentleness...self-control

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Kitchen Table Overload

Desk and two chairs in office, bulletin board on wall in background


I wouldn't say I am uber organized but I wouldn't say I was disorganized either. I have 4 kids to keep track of - their school schedules, library days, lunch money, homework, projects, sports schedules, after school programs, friends and social events, doctors, dentist...Then there is my husband's schedule which apparently I keep track of that too. Then you have my schedule which I seem to keep adding to instead of subtracting from. Not wise.

I have been using my kitchen table for study central. It's a great location, I can see the trees outside, get a nice breeze, have access to music and the family can find me whenever they need me. The problem is how much time I am spending setting up my environment and then breaking it down for each meal - AND my bookshelves, printer and filing system are in my office. Which calling it an office is rather generous. I just call it that because the realtor did. It is a room - again with wonderful windows overlooking trees, gets a nice breeze and all my "stuff" is in there. But here is the problem - my desk is really my husbands and uhm he got it in elementary school. It's a homework desk from 35 years ago. Match that with a kitchen chair - not all that comfortable after a few hours of work and add in some odds and ends tables to hold various "stuff" and you've got the idea.

What I really need is someone who can come in here and see all my stuff spread out in the kitchen and the office and my bedroom and make a good study and work space for me. I have my really super, duper comfy chair in my office - I LOVE it - and you know I really love it because the upholstery is ripped in more than one place but I can't bear to get rid of it. I use that for reading and the arms are big enough to hold notebooks so I can make notes. I have it set so I can look out the windows and watch the sun rise - actually the other wall might would be even better for my sunrise prayers. But what I really need is this someone to somehow find a desk or table that is the same size as my kitchen table and figure out how to fit it in my office. I would save so much time if I could just plop down at my desk and resume business instead of feeling like a commuter student/worker in my own home.

Top that with someone who enjoys filing and let's celebrate!

And that my friends is good procrastination as I have a workshop to co-teach tomorrow that I need to prep for, 2 bible studies to work on and oh yes did I mention DFI is next weekend and I have numerous books to read, articles to critique, papers to write, services to develop, reflections to organize...and I know I am leaving something out. I just would love one place where I could totally spread all my work, school and ministry stuff out that I didn't have to clean up in time for the dinner bell and then pull back out after the clean up crew (yes me) finishes up for the evening ;-)

If my dining room had a nice view of outside it would be perfect...hmmm can I give up the view and make it work? We never eat in the dining room - which I think is the purpose of having a dining room, we aren't very traditional in this home it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment